Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Number Game

Cameron is out of school again this week. Over the weekend his numbers started going low and plummeting in the middle of the night. His blood sugar also drops when exerting himself. Seriously, let's send my very active, diabetic, 4th grader to school and see if he makes it home. He was sent home from the hospital using the ratio of 1 unit of insulin to 15 units of carbs. This insulin ratio is used for his fast acting insulin, Novolog. It is taken with each meal, breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and it helps his body digest his meals properly. At bedtime he is given 6 units of Lantus, his slow acting insulin. This insulin is his baseline working for 24 hours. Having just given you the back story, they adjusted his 1:15 ratio to 1:18 yesterday. After having his numbers continually drop today, I called again, and they've adjusted it now to 1:20 and his Lantus is now 5 units at night. They call this The Honeymoon Period. What does this mean? It means in 3-5 months his numbers could start going back up and we drop back down to the 1:15. I keep telling myself that God does not give you more than you can handle, but Lord, I don't know how much more of this I can take. I am on pins and needles daily. I look at my beautiful son and just want to burst into tears. Why him? My perfect healthy, intelligent, handsome 9 year old. I'm so angry I want to hit somebody and make them feel as badly as I feel.

0 comments: