Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Living with Type I Diabetes

As my previous post revealed, I had some serious email decluttering to do. Alas, I'm only down to 69 pages, but all emails received in 2005 are gone. Woo-Hoo!

Upon logging in and going to the end, I came upon my oldest email from December 28, 2004 and a very bittersweet email. The sender is no longer with us. She was my only connection to diabetes when I was a kid, having Juvenile (Type I) Diabetes. The technology that we have today is astounding compared to what she must have endured. I remember her staying the nights and her mom, prepackaging her insulin shots, storing them in a Tupperware container, and we made room in the fridge for her. I knew how to give her shots in the back of the arm, she did it herself in the leg, and I knew what to do if her sugars went too low. We lost contact after high school, but found each other about 7 years ago. We maintained email correspondence, she married, and got pregnant (which Dr's told her NOT to do, even in high school -- think Steel Magnolias). She lost her fight almost 2 year ago, after her body rejected her pancreas and kidney transplant that she received Thanksgiving 2006, after years of dialysis (which she started almost instantly after having her beautiful little boy). He was born prematurely and had his own developmental issues. How I wish she were alive today. How I would love to ask her how old she was when her family found out she was sick. I don't even know her whole story, from beginning to end. Her husband emailed me when she was gone, and the last time I saw her was at the hospital (same one Cameron was admitted to), the weekend my dad's side of the family held vigil and we lost my niece.

I think of all the advancements we've made in the world. I don't prepare Cameron's shots until after he's taken his blood sugar (using our sliding scale) and adding up the carbs he's taking in at the meal (using the 1:20 ratio). I suppose we could prepare his bedtime shots, as they are the same 5 units every night. I look at Cameron's monitor and the high tech ones they have out now. I see stories like the Jonas brothers, and the one just diagnosed, using the insulin pump. They also have the FlexPen, which literally looks like a pen, holds up to 100 units of insulin, and you dial the number (1-10) of units you need, add a disposable needle, and inject. Cameron and I just watched dLife the other night and saw the OmniPump (which is a different insulin pump that sticks wherever you want). I can't imagine what my friend and her family endured in the beginning. I can't help but think how much easier Cameron and us have it.

Easier...seems surreal to say it, because nothing about this seems easy. In fact, it's frustrating, it's never ending, it's ... exhausting. Here's how our day goes (minus the times):

  • Cameron wakes up and checks his blood sugar**
  • Cameron's breakfast and first shot
  • 2 hours after breakfast Cameron checks his blood
  • sugar** & protein snack
  • 2 hours after Cameron checks his blood sugar**
  • Cameron's lunch and second shot
  • 2 hours after lunch Cameron checks his blood sugar** & protein snack
  • NAP/QUIET TIME
  • Dinner time and Cameron checks his blood sugar**
  • We eat and Cameron gets his third shot with dinner
  • 2 hours after dinner Cameron checks his blood
  • sugar** & protein snack
  • About an 1 1/2 - 2 hours later, Cameron checks his blood sugar** & he gets his bedtime shot
  • Bedtime
  • 2 am Cameron has to check his blood sugar**
    **
    If Cameron's blood sugar is below 70 we give him 4 ounces of apple juice and wait 15 minutes to recheck his blood sugar. If after the 15 minutes he's still low, we repeat the apple juice, if not, we have a small protein & carb snack (usually a 1/2 of a peanut butter sandwich and 1/2 cup milk). If, however, it's meal time, then we eat the meal instead of the snack.
  • 1 comments:

    Me! said...

    A friend of mine just emailed me a link to your blog and I have to say I know a bit of what you're going through.
    Our son is 9, going on 10 in April, and is in 4th grade with Type 1 diabetes. He was diagnosed just a few days after his 8th birthday and it still sometimes feels like yesterday. It does not run in our family so this was a COMPLETE shock to us all and has changed our entire lives.
    This morning was filled with calcuations, shots and high numbers. We've been in the "honeymoon" period for a while now with the faith (because Jesus CAN heal) that He can touch our son's pancreas and bring it back to normal.
    We have 3 other sons (thankfully not exhibitting any diabetic signs) and I am pregnant with our our 5th, which we just found out if a girl!
    I just wanted to jot you a quick line to introduce myself across the miles (or cyberspace, I guess) and encourage you that the Lord does have a plan for your precious son's life and God will get the glory from this suffering on our son's part.
    From one Mom to another who often cries out "Why my son, Lord?", God bless you and your family.

    P.S. I LOVE the music you have on your blog - it's been playing all morning!