Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Joy

I just spent a GLORIOUS, and MUCH needed 2 1/2 hours on the phone with my girl Diane in New York. We laughed, and I needed that!

There is a scene in the movieSex in the City where Carrie (after being left at the altar by Mr. Big) asks her girls, "Will I ever laugh again?" Ironically, that question played in my mind all day long.

What could we possibly be laughing about 16 hours after the death of my Beloved? The Chaplain the hospital sent in to me after telling me he died. Her name? Joy. Let me tell you, JOY is not what she brought. In fact, the entire time she was in the hospital room with me...she NEVER prayed! Not one time. Oh, she would start off, "Father, we come to you..." and then she would break off and ask me a question. "Lord, God, we ask you..." and then another question. She made several great starts, but was too busy with the who, what, where, when and why of the situation. Joy was of no comfort to me. She failed her job that morning. Who was behind curtain #2? I'll never know.

I had Diane in stitches, and her laughing made me laugh. Nicole, her daughter, came in the room, worried about her Mom, and was dumbfounded when we told her we were laughing.

I'm grateful for the laughs. I'm grateful for the friendship. Words will never express the joy I felt while talking to Diane.

0 comments: