Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Killing Me Slowly


UPDATED AFTER ER VISIT

Just over an hour ago we had a fire truck outside the front of our house and three firemen in our house. We called 911 when Peyton decided to eat something, not sure what, but when I went to retrieve it, she sucked it down further and turned blue. Mike flipped her over and started the Heimlich. I grabbed the phone. Peyton's color came back, but she was wheezing and her voice was raspy. The fire truck arrived in warp speed, about 2 - 2 1/2 minutes. By then we believe she completely swallowed it and thought the pounding on her back was a game. We were instructed to give her a bottle before they cancelled the ambulance. She took the bottle, one of the firemen called it in and our orders were to take her to the hospital. The highlight of the firemen visit was while one of them held her I was signing a piece of paper stating the ambulance wasn't taking her and in case she died they weren't responsible she "tooted" as the firemen called it. His eyes got big as quarters and she smiled at him. I couldn't help but laugh. The ER doc ordered X-Rays of her throat, lungs, and stomach. Her throat and lungs were clear. Praise God. Doc said she could have coughed it up and we didn't see it, believe me we would have seen it, or she swallowed it, but it's not obstructing her airway or in her lungs. When her poop comes, it out to be interesting to see what it was. The child will NOT eat food from the table, she REFUSES big people food (did you see the picture of her shaking her head NO to her birthday cake?), and ONLY takes baby food, but she'll put any darn thing off of the floor in her mouth! What the heck?

In her 14 shorts months of life she has been to the ER 5 times. YES, you read that correctly, F-I-V-E! She is her Mama's daughter after all. Last January she rolled out of our bed and hit her head. In June she dislocated her arm, not once, but twice in 24 hours. She did it again about 6 weeks ago. And tonight. Eventually they are going to know her by name, or CPS will be knocking on my door!

Whoever said girls were easier ... LIED!!! She is going to kill me!

4 comments:

April said...

I pray everything is ok.

Becca said...

oh gosh! i want to hear what happened!
last night i noticed that i have a few new gray hairs...well, i have a little girl too ;)

Kmommy said...

Oh my goodness! I hope everything turned out good! My baby girl puts way more crap (fuzz, carpet, hairballs, etc..) in her mouth than my son ever did!

Joanne@ Blessed... said...

What a scare. Our youngest son almost had me on medication! Same kinds of things. We joke that he broke me. I wanted no more children after him.

I work as a 911 dispatcher so when you said that the firetruck was there in warp speed I believe it. I have two personal beliefs about children and help...1) that police/fire and ambulance seem to drive faster (if that's possible) to a call of a little peanut in need. 2) that God hears the prayers of a child faster than any prayer spoken. I have nothing scriptural to back this up, just know how I jump when I hear on of my children cry for me.

Praying that the rest of your year is ER free!