Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Basic Life Skills Class

I can't believe it has only been 2 months. My gosh it seems so much longer. Two months ago today Hubby and I received a crash course in Type I Diabetes. We sat and learned how to draw up insulin, how to give the shot, what to do if he goes below 70 and what to do if he goes above 250, as well as if he lost consciousness or began having a seizure. After that fun was had, we sat with a dietitian and learned how to count carbs, read labels, and what free foods were. We knew all things Type I Diabetes in under 6 hours, right? WRONG!

Cameron and I attended the Basic Life Skills class today (we didn't make it last month because of the snow?)...FINALLY, was all I could think. I don't know what I expect from these courses, but something other than what I am learning. First off, our quarterly appointments are going to take 2-3 hours. Seriously? And if we have to miss or reschedule for any reason, it will be another 3-4 months before they can get us back in. WTH? They will run a very cool (assuming it's blood) test, AC1, that will give us an average of what his blood sugars have been, and tell us if he's too high, too low, or just right. We are responsible for bringing both (school and home) of his blood sugar meters for them to download, but we also have to bring his log book? It seems to be the same if you ask me.

I know Cameron is in the best hands and it's part of the reason we have decided not leave California quite yet. I was told about 2 weeks ago that Cameron would start the FlexPen at his first doctor appointment the beginning of February. I was so excited, you have no idea. The FlexPen is exactly as it sounds, it looks like a pen, holding 100 units of insulin, where you attach disposable needles, and dial up the units of insulin you need at each meal, or at bedtime. Cameron will be able to give himself his own shot, not having to worry about drawing up insulin, bubbles, etc. This is fantastic for school, as Hubby or I have to make the trek to school EVERY day of the week to give him his shot for lunch. The FlexPen is a VERY cool thing. I am ecstatic, right? WRONG! The gals running the Basic Life Skills class tells me we need to attend the class for the pen first. OH, but wait, before that, we have to attend the Carbohydrate Counting Class first. BOTH, not available until March.

I am ALL for the carb counting class, but it seems to me that the FlexPen class would be sooner to get us off of the syringes. We did learn that we weren't feeding Cameron properly. Well, that's wrong, we are feeding him properly, it's the darn snacks! I was letting him have a granola bar Monday, Wednesday, & Friday for snack to cover recess and PE, but apparently he still needs insulin for the 19 grams of carbs. *sigh* I am so frustrated with what he can and can't have in regards to snacks and what exactly he needs insulin for or the foods he should be eating to cover physical activities. What about bedtime? I'm FRUSTRATED!

I have been frustrated since day 1! I'm thankful our insurance is covering all of this. I'm thankful for the doctor's and the help I receive over the phone. I just ... it's just so much to take in. I just want to go back a few months and live in that moment...oblivious of what was about to come, allowing him to drink Jamba Juice at Disneyland or eating a Mickey Mouse pretzel. I pray for a cure!

2 comments:

April said...

My son is 10 and got diagnosed when he was 18 months old. We have used the pen for about 2 years now and we LOVE it. We did the "pen" class before an appt. and it only took about 10 minutes. Might want to see if they can do that. He is on Lantus and Novalog and it has made such a huge difference in his numbers. He can eat what he wants, when he wants (with a shot of course) but it really is so much better. If you ever need someone to talk to or just ask a question, feel free to e-mail me.

Corrine said...

i am so sorry that has got to be so hard. i dealt with gestational diabetes and I could only imagine having to have to deal with it with a child...can the school nurse give him shots?