Friday, November 21, 2008

Twilight

OME! For non-Twilighters, that means, "OH MY EDWARD!" Let me start by saying I enjoyed the movie. It was a 2 hour distraction from my life that I needed oh so much. I decided to hit the midnight showing at about 10:30 pm. I asked Hubby and he said he didn't know when we would be able to see it together, so go ahead. My head was fried, but I knew I would just be tossing and turning like I did the night before. I got to the theatre at about 11:30 and asked the lady at the ticket window, "You got any tickets left?" She said, "LOADS!" I looked at her, and then around the completely packed theatre. She explained that as each theatre sold out, they just opened up another one. NO WAY! They were already selling theatre 7, and I'm not so sure #8 didn't open up. Okay, so, how was the movie?

Disappointed:
Bella never cooked for Charlie. I don't even think we saw their kitchen. They always ate at the diner.
The original biology lab scene (where Edward smells Bella for the first
time) was a little too campy
I missed Mike saying, "So, did you stab Edward Cullen with a pencil or what? I’ve never seen him act like that."
No blood typing scene (which is one of my favorites)
Serious Edward (too brooding, not enough of his wicked wit or smiles)
Flirting banter between Edward and Bella
No REAL meadow scene (it seemed forced and some cheesy dialogue)
Sparkle in the sunlight???
In the bedroom scene, Alice saying, "It sounded like you were having Bella for lunch, and we came to see if you would share."
Not enough Alice & Jasper (in the hotel when they flee)
MOST DISAPPOINTED in the phone call between James and Bella. In the book you FEEL his strength, his power, his evil when he gives Bella the instructions. They seriously should have left that whole dialogue in the movie. It gives me chills just thinking about it.

LOVED:
Bella narrating
Edward growling at the men stalking Bella in Port Angeles
Lion and Lamb quote
The Cullen Clan was cast perfectly
Mike did say, "He looks at you like… like you’re something to eat."
Bella meeting the Cullens
The Baseball Scene
Fight scene with James (who I find yummy)
The stare down between Edward and Jacob at the end

I realize that fitting a 400 page book into 2 hours is a daunting task. However, doesn't the Harry Potter movies do just that? I have never left a Harry Potter film where I thought it missed crucial elements of the story. I also realize that the book is never as good as the movie. Was it the low budget of the film? The director? I feel the movie was forced in areas, not giving us the time we needed to fall in love with Edward, or showing Edward's passion for Bella. I must take this time to admit that Robert Pattinson did a fantastic job as Edward. He still isn't my Edward, but I honestly don't see how anybody else could have done a more fantastic job. If you have only seen the movie, please don't let that deter you from reading the books. The books are fantastic!

Now that New Moon has been greenlighted I am concerned. First, let me explain that I am die hard Team Edward. However, I feel if I had to pick teams based on the movie(s), I might switch sides and go Team Jacob! I can't wait to see Jacob and Bella's relationship unfold in New Moon. I think the main dilemma of bringing New Moon to screen is that lack of Edward in the book. Will the same die hard Edward Cullen Robert Pattinson fanpires rise to the occasion? Or will Team Jacob win out?

0 comments: