Sunday, November 23, 2008

Routine

Although Cameron hasn't been home a full 48 hours, we have been able to begin some sort of routine. I am still completely sad over his diagnosis, but I realize it's manageable. Since Cameron came home I have been the one counting the carbs and giving the shots, so today we told Mike it was his turn. Mike was the first one to give Cameron his insulin shot in the hospital, but it's the whole procedure that takes time. From beginning to end it takes about 20 minutes. Cameron has to wash his hands and then we check his blood sugar. After that I make the meal (breakfast, lunch, or dinner) and count his carb intake. I figure out how many units of insulin he'll need for his body to process the carbs, plus if he needs extra based on his blood sugar check. He sits down to his meal and gets the shot. In two hours we're rechecking his blood sugar. Then he gets a free snack, string cheese, sugar free jello, etc. Routine, routine, routine!

He sat down and read his Get Well cards from his class today. We took pictures to send to the class tomorrow. He also wrote a letter answering some of the questions his classmates had. Cameron is such an amazing kid! Just when I think I can't possibly love any of my children more than I do, my heart expands and fills with even more love. I couldn't be prouder of him than I am right now. His life has been turned upside down, yet he rolls with the punches.

I got to admit, I'm a little disappointed nobody has come to see him since being home. I expressed my wishes to our family and friends, asking them to come through over the weekend and let him know they were thinking about him. I didn't ask for an hour visit, a 10 minute visit would have sufficed. The only one's who have called to check on his are Auntie Angelique, Grandma, Auntie Pam and Gina, otherwise I'm the one calling with the updates. I take into consideration that some of our family, like Auntie Sara, is so far away that this blog is their update. Maybe I'm just frustrated. I know I am emotionally fried and I could just be making a mountain out of a molehill. I just want Cameron to know everybody still loves him and is thinking about him. I don't think that is too much to ask.

0 comments: