Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Tackle It Tuesday: Christ the Lord

I finally tackled something that needed tackling in the worst way! I hunkered down on the couch, curled up with my favorite blanket, and finished reading Anne Rice's Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt. Of course the children were fed breakfast and lunch, and diapers were changed. ;)

I am a huge Anne Rice fan. I find it easy to fall into her story telling and enjoy the knowledge that she backs it up with as many facts as she can. Albeit a fictional account of Jesus bar Joseph, age 7-8, I forgot I was reading fiction almost instantly. We begin the journey in Egypt, where Jesus and his family were exiled into hiding per Herod's instructions to kill all children under 2 in Bethlehem, having lived there for the previous 7 years as Carpenters. Jesus has no clue as to the origins of his birth or the cross he will bear in the years to come. His family begins the journey back to Nazareth and thus his heritage begins to unfold.

Anne Rice depicts a truly Jewish Jesus and family. We are made painfully aware of how human Jesus is. She builds the foundation of character stories as well as emotions. This book reads as though I was reading a Gospel. I can not explain why it took me so long to read this glorious tale of a young boy, destined to be my Savior.

My books are due back at the library today, so I'll have to wait a few weeks before I can check out the sequel in this series, but I can't wait.

0 comments: