Monday, December 13, 2010

Christmas Cookies (Project 365/2010)

I set out this morning on a mission...bake Christmas cookies. Easy enough, right? I had wanted to do this for some time, as a friend of mine pointed out last year that the cookies we left for Santa were suppose to be homemade and not Oreos. UGH! Plus, tomorrow I'm doing a cookie exchange with my TLBS group, so I figured today I was going to master the art of baking Christmas cookies. I plugged in my glee Christmas album and got to work.

I'm not totally insane to try the mixing on my first time out, so I took some help from Betty Crocker. Foolproof, right? I just add a stick of butter, a tablespoon of water, and an egg and stir. Viola! Roll out the dough, cut them into cute little Gingerbread Boy shapes, bake, cool and decorate. NOT! I ruined the first bag, it was so sticky I couldn't spread it out, I floured, floured, floured, and put it in the fridge. The second bag I mixed and went straight to fridge. When it came time to roll it out, I floured my counter top and ... How in the heck do you transfer these stupid things from counter top to cookie sheet without it looking like zombies attacked and Gingy is missing body parts? FORGET IT! I rolled them into balls to make gingerbread snaps and ... BURNED THEM! I even took them out of the oven 2 minutes before the package suggested. DOH!

After another post to Facebook, where I made fun of my lack of baking skills, my cell phone rang and Hubby said, "Put the cookie cutters down and step away from the kitchen." He had me rolling with laughter, but I did as he instructed. Needless to say, I am not cut out for Christmas cookie baking. PUN INTENDED! ;)

0 comments: