Monday, June 6, 2011

Swimming Into First Grade

My Handsome is growing up! I was warned by Dylan's teacher that watching Dylan graduate was going to be emotional (her daughter was in Kindergarten when her husband died and her youngest was Peyton's age). That warning did not help. I sat in the courtyard of Dylan's school, video camera on the tripod and camera in hand, bawling my eyes out. The loneliness I felt was almost unbearable. Dylan and his classmates performed 4 songs for us and then each student received their certificate. It was a beautiful sight!

Once the ceremony was over we were invited to stay for refreshments and snacks. Dylan and I were sitting down on a bench and I could see it coming. He put up a great fight, fighting back those tears, and then asked me, "Do you think Dad saw me graduate?" I burst into tears and said of course! I told him how proud his Dad was of him, how proud I was of him, and how much we loved him.

I'm emotionally exhausted and guess what? I get to do it all over again on Wednesday when Cameron graduates 6th grade. UGH!




0 comments: