Sunday, June 26, 2011

Diva Cup

Where have you been all my adult life? As you know, I've been on vacation in Las Vegas for a week. Wouldn't you know it, my Aunt Flo decided to join me. I was SO frustrated. I hate wearing tampons in the pool, and was planning on doing a lot of swimming. I hate wearing tampons when I'm not in the pool and despise wearing pads even more. Gone are the days of birth control, where I could set my watch by my period. I would get it on a Thursday, every 28 days, and be done with it on Monday. HA! When you have children, you know the havoc it reeks on your body. I'm more irregular than regular, which has some to do with my emotions, but have been irregular since getting off the pill in my early 20's. I'm heavy, thank you fibroid tumors in my uterus, and quite frankly, would LOVE nothing more than to have the plumbing removed completely. I am done making babies, which is the only useful part of our female reproductive system anyway, and too young for menopause.

Enter...the Diva Cup! A friend emailed me about it and I became instantly intrigued. Of course the good 'ol high desert doesn't carry anything like this, and it was too late to order one from amazon. According to the website, Whole Foods carried them. I got to Henderson and asked my cousin for the nearest Whole Foods store. Thankfully, one was just 10 minutes away. I walked in, picked the last box off the shelf, and went back to my cousin's. I watched a few videos online, read the instructions, and popped the Diva Cup in. (NOTE: There are sizes, and you should follow the size guidelines based on their website.)

You can wear your Diva Cup from 10-12 hours, and wash it with unscented soap. Of course they have a special wash, for extra money, and if you want to go that route, so be it. I just use the same antibacterial soap I wash my hands with after using the restroom. The HUGE plus for me was overnight. I got to tell you ladies, not worrying about an accident while sleep was a relief! I was on vacation and not having to worry about changing my pad/tampon every few hours. When my cycle has ended, I boil it for 10 minutes, let it air dry, put it in the cute little bag it came with, and throw it under my sink until I need it again next month.

Menstral cups have been around since the 1930's. Why aren't all women told about this option? I will NEVER look back. Yes, it's a bit of a price jump in the beginning, however, how much do we spend on our feminine products every month? Now times that by 12. Subtract $25 from that, and what a savings! You will need to take care of it every month, and inspect it to make sure it isn't deteriorating, but for the most part, one cup should last you one year, much like your mascara. ;)




0 comments: