Monday, August 2, 2010

First Day of Kindergarten (Project 365/2010)

My heart is breaking this morning as Dylan is growing up. When he got up this morning he said he was ready to go to school, so I didn't stop him. However, after the night we had, I would have been okay with not sending him too. Funny thing is, his teacher's daughter missed her first day of 5th grade because she is sick. We did the yearly ritual, where I took pictures of Dylan ready for his first day (and he wore a weird smile in each picture). We got to school and lined up with the rest of his class, and then we are trailed in to the classroom. Dylan and I located his desk, he put his backpack on his chair, and stuck his name tag on his shirt. Ms. Cambridge, Dylan's teacher, instructed the class to find their name on the carpet and have a seat. After handling a few housekeeping items with us parents, she sat down to read the class my favorite first day of school book, The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn. After Chester the Raccoon went off to school, Ms. Cambridge gave each of the children a heart to give to their Mommy/Daddy, with instructions to hug and kiss them goodbye. I thought it was a great way to let the parents in on the action, but to show the children how to say goodbye to us too.




0 comments: