Sunday, December 15, 2013

What are the chances...

Yesterday I went on a field trip with my APU class to downtown Los Angeles. It was the first time I had ridden the Metro. One of my classmates, Aaron, and I were sitting in seats with nobody beside us, I was turned around and we were chit chatting. The ride to Union Station is about 30 minutes and about stop 3 an older woman got on and she sat next to Aaron. He and I kept chit chatting until she politely interrupted and asked us what was going on and why there were so many people on the Metro this early on a Saturday morning. I explained about our class and told her I didn't know about the back half of the train. She and I begin to make small talk about school and places to see while we're in LA. She says something about God and I get the usual ping to tell her my story. I admit, I like throwing a curve ball at people by telling them I'm a widow with 3 kids, but I'll explain why that is in a moment. I throw the pitch out and her mouth literally drops. She says to me, "You're too young." I love that I don't look my age. I nod politely. I tell her the rest of my story, that he was 33, etc, etc. She gets misty eyed and says, "You're not done. You know that, right? I'm not telling you a premonition, but something in me just tells me God has something big in store for you." I respond with, "I do know that. I'm in no hurry. God's timing is perfect." She thanks me for sharing and then tells me that her friend committed suicide just 3 days earlier. She says, "If only he talked to someone. To me. You continue talking Tiffany. You push through and keep up that strength." She reaches for my hand and I smile. At our stop she says, "You've truly blessed me and I will take you with me for the rest of the day." Fast forward to Olvera Street and Aaron pulls me aside and this is the conversation we have.

Aaron: What are the chances that she was suppose to sit next to me on the train?
Me: 100%.
Aaron: It was like she needed to hear your story.
Me: She did.
Aaron: You just opened up like you'd known her your whole life.
Me (nodding)
Aaron: I just...it's so personal.
Me: I'm an open book. I always have been.
Aaron: I mean, I've heard the story before but...it's like you're a walking testimony.
Me: Exactly.
Aaron: Does this happen to you often?
Me (laughing): Yes. Yes it does.
Aaron: And the people you tell?
Me: Nine times out of 10 they need to hear it. They need to know God keeps his promises and his love is fierce.
Aaron (shaking his head in disbelief): I've never seen anything like that. Ever.

Now, let me tell you about a similar story that happened before Thanksgiving. I've been meaning to share, but just haven't had the time. I got sick and couldn't make it to work for a few days. Someone who works at the littles school, and is very precious to me, was leaving and I needed to buy her a card. I had kept putting it off and so on Wednesday morning I dropped the kiddos off, figured my stomach was good since I hadn't put anything in it and drove over to Christian Treasures. The woman running the store that morning was busy on a call back east but kept popping her head out to assure me she was there if I needed anything. I browsed around and decided to check out a little while later. Another customer came beside me to lay her purchases on the counter while she continued to shop. I made a comment about the Advent Calendar she picked up and told her I was excited to start the Jesse Tree and Ann Voskamp's Devotional. I explained that I was excited to start a new tradition this year with my children. Well she just took the conversation on from there.

Pam: I saw her at Women of Faith. She was amazing. (She goes on about a story of picking up copies of her book and how blessed she was to hear her speak because she had just lost her husband--there's my cue).
Me (hand over my mouth and shaking my head)
Pam: No, please don't. I'm doing okay. I have a loving heavenly Father.
Me (nodding and smiling): I know you do. He's kept me going for the last 2 years and 10 months since my Beloved husband died.
Pam (mouth drops): Mine passed in May. We have a 4 year old daughter.
Me (thinking she is a much older mom): Mine were 11, 5, and 3.
Pam: She's not really my daughter. She's my granddaughter, but she's mine.
Me (grinning from ear to ear): I was raised by my grandmother and there is nothing more precious than that. She passed away 2 months before my husband.

Needless to say the conversation just took off. Her daughter's name is Peyton as well. Pam was just a few short days away from hitting the 6 month mark as well as her first Thanksgiving without her husband. I told her I would pray for her. We stood in Christian Treasures for a good hour talking, lifting each other up and the lady behind the counter exclaimed, "I hate working here!" as she grabbed the box of Kleenex for us all to wipe our tears and blow our noses. We exchanged phone numbers and I hugged her tight before saying goodbye.

Lastly, and I realize this is out of order but this is the funnest story EVER, God always puts me where I will be covered. I accept the long-term sub position and the teacher next door to me was also Cameron's 7th grade language arts teacher. Funny thing was when I told Cameron he said, "NO. Mrs. ________ is a 7th grade teacher." I said, "NO. She's a 6th grade teacher now." Needless to say Mrs. ________ and I became close very fast. I knew she was a widow (she hates that word and I apologize in advance for using it here) but I didn't realize how parallel our stories were. She invited me to have lunch in her classroom with her daughter one day and I took her up on it. HOLY MOLY! God sent me a kindred spirit. The 3 of us women had a huge laugh fest that first lunch together. Our husband's birthdays are 2 days apart and our wedding anniversaries are 3 days apart. Her husband will be gone 3 years on the 18th of this month, mine on the 10th of next. Both are named Mike and both our middle names are Ann. HELLO!?!? This last week each time we're together she tells me, "I'm gonna miss you. I hate making friends." And her daughter won't even discuss it, according to her. I have come to love these ladies immensely. Not only do I have to say goodbye to my students on Thursday, but I have to leave these 2 amazing, hilarious, beautiful women too. I'm gonna be a mess, straight up ugly girl crying. I'm teary eyed right now even typing this.

God is so faithful to me. His mercy and grace cover me in ways that know no bounds. I am in awe almost daily of what He does for me. I pray I continue to be that walking testimony and light for Him. He certainly deserves that and much more.

0 comments: