Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Christmas is Cancelled

The selfishness it takes to write such a statement is staggering. I'll be the first to admit that I have wanted to cancel all holidays, birthdays, hell even my life on some days, for the last, almost, 3 years. But what I want isn't what I can or should. I was at the lowest part of my life after my Beloved's death, which happened just 2 short months after my mother's. I had a choice to make, and three little people who were counting on me to make the right one. Either I allow the grief to take me under or I move forward. What good would I have been to Cameron, Dylan, and Peyton had I curled up in bed and thrown the covers over myself? What would that have taught my children? To run and hide when life didn't go your way.

Instead of being swallowed up, I mustered every ounce of love to shower upon my kids. I gathered strength I didn't know I had and put one foot in front of the other, sometimes moving at a snail's pace. But most importantly I gave myself wholly to my Lord and Savior, who without I wouldn't have had the love to give or strength to move forward. I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength. Was it easy? Absolutely not. Dylan lost his first tooth the day after his Dad died and while I was at the mortuary signing papers to have my Beloved cremated. A few short weeks later I would attend his memorial and 3 days later my birthday. Dylan's first birthday party without his Dad followed a few days after that and then Mike's favorite team, The Packers, would go on to win the Super Bowl on his 60" TV that he bought, the year before, special for that day. I mention the TV because it was a huge sore for me for awhile after Mike died. How about the seven months that my beautiful, 3 year old daughter, asked me daily if she could die today? Her Daddy was in heaven and she wanted nothing more to be with him. And let's not forget my Type 1 diabetic who I thought was going to die too because he was eating his emotions and playing a very dangerous game with his blood sugar. Would I have loved to cancel our first Halloween without our patriarch? Yep. Did I? No. And each and every year when Halloween rolls around I still fight myself not to cancel it. That hasn't changed in 3 years.

Canceling Christmas because you are grieving is the most selfish act and not what the holiday is about. Maybe you should spend less time focused on the person in the mirror and more time looking upward, to the One whose holiday this is truly about, the birth of your Lord and Savior. I tell my children we will forever have a Daddy sized hole in our hearts. Nothing will take it away, but it doesn't mean we can't fill it to the brim around it, because Daddy would want us to. Death is always hardest on the one's left behind. It's our human nature. Fortunately I have a God who wants nothing but good for me. For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." That is the God I serve, the legacy I want to leave my children. This Christmas my church is discussing the Christmas Legacy. Legacy has become a keyword in my life since my Beloved went home. I want to leave my children with the image of me picking us up in the wake of utter devastation and continuing to move forward. While I cradled them, Jesus cradled me. "My precious child, I love you and will never leave you. Never, ever, during your trials and testings. When you saw only one set of footprints, It was then that I carried you." He carried me so I could in turn carry my children. When I die I want my children and grandchildren to know that my heart belonged to Jesus and it was because of that love that we didn't just survive the death of our Beloved husband and Daddy but we thrived!

Merry Christmas to my family and friends. May God's light, love and blessing touch each and every one of you. May your home be full of laughter, your bellies be full of goodies and your stories about loved one's who have already gone home treasured.

0 comments: