Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Cameron goes to Camp (Project 365/2010)

It is that time of year again ... where Cameron gets to be a normal kid for 2 weeks, and we get a much needed vacation from Type 1 diabetes. Cameron was super excited to have the same camp counselor, Kevin, as he did last year. His cabin mates are all new to him, which means new friends. We were shocked to see the drop in attendance this year. Kevin was telling me that they only have 85 campers this session (Cameron's cabin only has 5 campers), which is at least a 70% drop from last year's session. I can't help but wonder if the economy is a factor. One of the new camper's mother and I were chatting, and she was telling me they (her and her husband) would like to foster parent Type 1 diabetics. God bless them! I had NEVER considered Type 1 fosters and it made my heart smile to think about what a blessing her family would be to a Type 1 diabetic child, who more than likely is being moved around in the foster care system.

I had, however, been giving much thought this year to starting a meet up group for Type 1 diabetics in the IE. There are ZERO support groups here in the desert, and we so desperately need one. These kids need to interact all year long, not just for a week or two every Summer. When I was talking to Hubby about that just now, I even came up with perhaps starting a Non-Profit, where we could then gather donations all year long to help send MORE of these kiddos to camp every year.

Now that I've sent Cameron off to camp, I need to focus on gathering a team (and a team name that ROCKS) and fundraising for this year's jdrf Walk for a Cure 5K (3.2 miles) on October 2nd. We missed last years and this year is a MUST! We need a cure for these kids! Each and every night I pray for the Lord to heal my son's pancreas, followed by the request that Cameron be our only Type 1 diabetic child. A cure is right around the corner, I just know it, I feel it in my bones. Until then, we'll be fundraising and walking. Who is with me?


0 comments: