Thursday, April 5, 2012

New Easter Tradition

Honestly, I was just grateful to get through Easter last year. The first major holiday after Mike's death. We did nothing unusual, and I even made the same Easter dinner I had for the last 11 years.

This year, however, I wanted to do something different, something we haven't done. I read the Bible, but I have never read it my kids. I found a list of verses, broken up by subject (i.e. The Last Supper, Jesus Arrested, Jesus Has Risen, etc) and decided to read three subject areas a night before bed, equaling about thirty minutes of reading time. If this worked, I could see this becoming a new Easter (and Christmas) Tradition.

The first night, the kids grumbled. The second night, they grumbled, but didn't fidget. The third night, they sat down excitedly to hear how the story would unfold. The fourth night, they interrupted with questions and genuine concern. Tonight, Cameron, who rolled his eyes at me the first night, said, "After Easter can we continue this every night?" YES! Yes. We. Can.

My intention was to teach my children the true reason we celebrate Easter, but as each night passed, my intention changed and I wanted to read stories from the Bible every night, as a family, before we say our prayers for bed.

I am blessed!

0 comments: